Quotidian Hell 
 
Look what The Internet hath brought us today...
30 Apr 2004

The scenario: I recently attended a dinner function wherein I was reintroduced to at least four people whom I had met before. I had spent at least 6 hours in each of their company at one time or another in groups of 6 or less. One of them actually remembered seeing me before and another almost remembered my name. A chap who I had met half an hour earlier when we were the only people in the room, and whose name I now knew as a result of said meeting, came up to me and said 'Have we met?'.
The question: Is my very essence that of unremarkableness? Am I a mere kernel in the silo, unnoticed as an individual and yet part of the whole? Is it the lack of the shared group experience? Or is it the alcohol?

I have noticed that people, once they have had one or two drinks start to find almost anything interesting. In this I am clearly at a social disadvantage, as I rarely drink. Perhaps this is why I have great difficulty with 'small talk'. I suspect that a blood alcohol level as low as 0.03 makes the most inane and limp jape, jest or jibe into comedy gold. I shall have to investigate this phenomenon at length

Ooh flamey!